Friday, February 28, 2014

first entry. four months later.

4 months ago I moved to the Town of Jupiter, Florida.
I never thought I would end up here.

I am here because of my love for Hispanic culture and the Spanish language. When I was 13 I decided that I wanted to be a Mexican. So even though I learned that I will never be a Mexican, here I am in South Florida working with day laborers and their families. And what I gain from them is so much more than I could ever give.

In attempt not to bore the reader, I am going to keep this short and simple. I'm in love with my life here, in love with my boyfriend, my new friends, and the warm winter that South Florida provides.

My passion for food is all consuming. Some days I wake up with a craving so strong that it takes control of my day, sending me on a complex treasure hunt of sorts to create the taste that my mind is so fixated on. Some days the instant gratification of dining out reminds me to slow down and enjoy the simple things. Last night it was a liver pate garnished with raspberry preserves and gherkins.

My relationship with my boyfriend is also worth writing about, not because I want to bore you with the intimate details of our lives together, but because his identical twin and their good friend just moved into our one bedroom apartment. I am living with 3 men in a one bedroom apartment. This must be recorded.

There are moments that I grapple with such big questions about poverty, justice, Latin American and Indigenous culture, American imperialism, white guilt, women's issues, universal human rights, and building community and strengthening family. It is my hope to capture these questions and form a record of my thoughts, not a diary of the day to day mundane, rather, a diary of ideas and questions, news articles and recipes.

Bourbon Chicken Liver Pate- Easy and Delicious Recipe

1 comment:

  1. :) Woot! Sounds great. I wish you well and hope you have some great adventures to post about. I'm snowed in in MT so have plenty of time to read, hehe. :p Maybe I'll see you this summer if you visit GNP. Planning to return?

    ReplyDelete